Today’s Victoria University is a direct descendant of Footscray Technical School, which first opened its doors to students in February 1916.
The School was intended by local businesses and the local community to offer students an education that would fit them for a role in the skilled workforce and raise students out of the ranks of unskilled labourers. The School adopted the image of the 'Door of Opportunity' as a means of expressing to the entire community the School’s purpose and reason for existence.
Victoria University proudly inherits that spirit and tradition.
Our current goals of excellence, engagement and accessibility are based in strong foundations laid nearly a century ago, and echo the commitment we make to all of our communities.
See the Centenary Exhibition at VU Footscray Park and Footscray Nicholson campuses to see all the historic memorabilia and artefacts, or visit the online VU Archives.